Congratulations, Dad!

I am sitting in LAX, waiting for my flight home. What a whirlwind we've had, visiting with my dad. 

Um, my dad is famous. He received a Lifetime Achievement award on Sunday for his work in prosthetic, special-effects makeup. We were fortunate enough to be able to attend, since it fell during February Break (although had it not, I would have figured out a way!). 

On the red carpet


This is not my usual scene! It was incredible to see my dad's legacy, both in the work that he's done over the decades and the clear impact he's had on other artists. He has developed new ways of doing appliances. He is an artist, a sculptor, and a scientist. 

People are always like, "that must have been so cool growing up!" Yes, and also... no. 

The movie business is weird. And hard. It is not particularly family friendly. Before my dad moved out to LA (when I was a 9th grader), he would leave on location for jobs for months at a time. We did get to visit in interesting places, like Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Laurel Canyon, CA; Toronto; and more. When he lived with us, he had a lab in the basement. It smelled of foam latex and had drawers of lipsticks that I occasionally filched (silver Clinique tubes were my favorite, especially Guava Stain). Once we had buckets of Ultra-Slime delivered to the house when he was working on a Poltergeist movie. 

When visiting in LA, you never knew what you would get to see. I have been on location for a handful of movies and shows, and even got to be an extra once. It impressed upon me how very un-glamorous movie life is. Once I watched actors get out of a car, shut the car door, and say one sentence...about 50 times in a row. I've seen how getting your prosthetic makeup done is long, and boring, and claustrophobic. But, I've also seen how my dad can make it entertaining. 

It was hard, only seeing my dad first two weeks out of a year after my parents divorced. Butt then harder when I visited on my own steam, because that was actually less often. I've been fortunate to see my dad about once every two years for a bit, but it can be as long as seven before in person visits. I hope it's easier now that he is retired! (Working retired, of course, no more 6-month trips to South Africa I think.)

I love my dad so much, and it's always difficult to say goodbye. Those was an amazing visit though, with a day at the LA Zoo, the Aquarium of the Pacific, the fancy schmancy day, and the best Thai food I've ever had in my life last night. Now we really to board our plane, and I am grateful to not be traveling with kids (hats off to those who do, it looks miserable). 

Taking a rest at the zoo

I am so so proud of my dad, and so glad that we could celebrate with him! Until next time...

Me and my dad

Bryce and I all gussied up



9 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Jess's Dad! It must have been very exciting. Oh, and you two scrub up ok! lol (Translating from Kiwi English: You look gorgeous!"") So glad you had such a lovely time all over. And great Thai food is ... well ... the best! (I should lead a tour of bloggers to Thailand, just for the food! lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was super exciting. I would love a tour of Thailand! I feel like the spice level might be a bit more there though, ha. The flavors and freshness at this place were unbelievable!

      Delete
  2. You look fabulous! and I'm so glad you could celebrate this amazing achievement with your dad. Congratulations to him! P.S. Longtime Clinique girl here -- both skincare & makeup -- and Guava was one of my favourites too! (I'm not sure they make it anymore, though? :( )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was awesome. Oh yes, Guava was a good one... I also was a fan of Double Fudge (90s) and Surprise. I don't know if they make any of those anymore! :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to your dad! Y'all look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Lifetime Achievement Award! How cool!! Congratulations to your dad, and I am so glad you got to celebrate with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was pretty darn cool. And to see my dad in his element was something else!

      Delete
  5. I love knowing about the "behind the scenes" life of those who make movies happen. I'm so glad that you got to celebrate your dad on such a momentous evening. Wow!

    ReplyDelete