Mothering Day

I was way too busy with Bryce's PhD graduation and my impending surgery and leave to worry much about Mother's Day. It barely hit my radar this year. Mostly, I experienced mild consternation over ads that insinuated that only moms would love and deserve pajamas. 

Like others, I was impressed by how many companies had opt outs for promotional emails for the holiday. Unfortunately I missed a bunch in my burgeoning Gmail "Promotions" folder, but when cleaning that out while laid up, I was newly, if belatedly, appreciative. 

But. The best thing that happened was a text I received from a friend and coworker, someone I don't know super well but have gotten to know more each year. She is a calming force, a well of empathy. I enjoy her company and we are hysterectomy sisters -- she got hers the year after mine and I made her a "goodbye to your uterus" care package, that had tissue paper that was purposely shades of pink and red. You know. Like a lining. Ha. 

Anyway, she sent me this and I had to share with you because it is just so lovely:

"I am not sure how you feel on Mother's Day Jess. But Happy Mother's Day to you!! ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒน๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’❤️

Not all "mothers" are biological, and some aren't even female. 

You have had an especially trying year with your kids. But you have been a wonderful second mother to all of those kids. I hope you celebrate today! ❤️❤️

And as I said, I do not know how you feel about this day, but I was thinking about you, and this day, and it is my hope all caregivers who play a central role in assisting with the growing up of children share in knowing that they are appreciated. ❤️❤️"

Ummm... Wow. For the record, she is a mother. And an amazing human. Well done, you. 

I would love to see Mother's Day become Mothering Day.  It could have the definition in her last paragraph. 

Mothering Day: a holiday made more inclusive by honoring and appreciating all caregivers who play a central role in assisting with the growing up of children

Wouldn't that be lovely?

3 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! Mothering Day would be so much better. I'm so glad you were acknowledged and seen on this day. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely that she (a) recognized that Mother's Day might be difficult for you and (b) took the time to tell you you're appreciated! I agree that "Mothering Day" would be much preferable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, and I would so love to morph the day into Mothering Day. What a wonderfully compassionate letter. As was the Goodbye Ute package with the pink lining (lol). You two see each and value each other.

    ReplyDelete