What Did I Do To YOU, April?

April  conspired to really make me look forward to having major surgery in May. IEP session is here and I am eyeball deep in paperwork and meetings, which is normal for this time of year. But, in the spirit of a micro post, here is a list:

- Got COVID over spring break, missed Bryce's dissertation defense (silver lining, didn't give Bryce COVID). Bright spot: it went great!

- Not being able to work over break meant I fell wayyyy behind on IEPs

- Behavioral dysregulation at school got to an all time high

- I cracked a filling in my molars and it felt like a nerve was exposed. It was so painful, and of course on a Sunday.

- Got an emergency dental appointment last Monday, an x-ray showed that yep, a molar filling chipped, but instead of an exposed nerve, the pain was because A SHARD OF THAT TOOTH STABBED ME BETWEEN MY TEETH DEEP INTO THE GUM. Are you kidding me? Luckily they didn't have to cut my gum to get it out, but I did have to get TWO crowns today to fix the cracked, horrid filling-filled molars that had been "shaved" to make space for the shard to be removed. EW. Gross AND expensive AND painful. Also, clearly I grind my teeth, and I have a night guard, but apparently my alignment is off and I have a "cross-bite," which renders my guard ineffective. Invisalign here I come...

- This one is hard and getting its own post when I can breathe. I saw my former student this past weekend, and hired her to help me clean and organize my classroom because she needs money. It's a bad situation. We went to get toiletries, and I got her a two pack of pregnancy  tests. My worst fear was realized when she tested in the Target bathroom and we watched the second line appear together. She's 16. As you can imagine, this was a multilayered moment of grief. Insanely hard. I am working to connect her with agencies and organizations that will help her, but it's just so sad. I am so, so sad for how much harder her future is now, and how vicious the cycle of poverty and trauma is. 

- Bright spot: by best friend was able to come visit super duper whirlwindy, about 18 hours, but it was fun and lovely. 

Good gracious, May. Try to be kinder. 

I tried but still not super micro... Want to read more Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Good grief! What a month. Roll on major surgery! lol And Yay to a visit from a best friend.
    It must have been so hard to be with your student. Sending huge but gentle hugs. It's just proof to me that there's no plan, no "meant to be" when a wonderful woman can't have children, and a terrified 16 year old gets pregnant.
    Ugh to the dental nastiness. I hope you're feeling better now. Here's to a better May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. Wow. That's a lot. Thank you for being there for your student. I'm glad she has a healthy adult in her life that she can trust: you.

    I got a crown last week too. The damage from my bike wreck 20+ years ago just keeps on giving...

    I'm glad you're feeling better, and I'm glad you got to see your best friend! I'm glad May is here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmigoodness, Jess, what a list of Big Things! I feel the weight of it all in the pit of my stomach.

    So sorry about the molar incident, which by all accounts should have been the biggest thing in this post. But really, April?? The Target bathroom scene, too?

    I am holding space for you and your student. What a difficult situation for you both.

    I echo your plea for May to be kinder.

    ReplyDelete