Carpe Diem

I saw my second opinion for my knee today. He said, "You have some seriously bad patellar femoral arthritis." Then he told me it can't get much worse than it is now, and I can have a knee replacement if I want one. 

I was a little blown away, because it was like, "I've reviewed your imaging, it sucks big-time, and yeah, you should fix that for quality of life" without any hemming and hawing. He said I could try more injections if I wanted to, but ultimately a non-cemented press-fit one replacement is the only thing that will give me back mobility without pain. 

It's a little crazy, but I'm thinking it's like when we were told IVF was the only workable option for us and we spent a year doing IUIs, first with clomid, then with injectibles, but it was all wasted time. This time, instead of more disappointment, I will have a working knee joint, finally, 30+ years after the original traumatic injury. It's also like deciding to do the hysterectomy instead of another surgery, and then finding out I had another condition that only the hysterectomy would remedy. I don't regret the hysterectomy at all. It was all about quality if life. 

So, um, I think I should do what my socks that I auspiciously chose to wear today say:


5 comments:

  1. Yay, that's fabulous news! I'm so glad that you got a second opinion. Woo hoo! But isn't it sad that we have to celebrate a doctor who a) recognised you had a serious problem, and b) agreed to fix it for you? Still, I'm focusing on the positive. You'll be mobile again soon. Watch out world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!! That sounds more like what I see with patients. Not being a candidate for surgery because you were too young sounded off to me. Also, there's a limit to how many injections can be effective but I'm sure every doctor you saw is aware of that. Excellent news! Thank you for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I pretty much spit my coffee out at this! :) I want a t-shirt for surgery day that says CARPE KNEEUM! :)

      Delete
    2. PERFECT, Lori!! lol

      Jess, so glad you will be getting some relief soon! :)

      Delete