A Delightful Recommendation

Let me tell you about this book: 


This, while very very different, is my The House in the Cerulean Sea pick for Summer 2022. My evangelical read. 

I'll let Ross Gay tell you his premise as he writes in his Preface: 

"One day last July, feeling delighted and compelled to both wonder about and share that delight, I decided that it might feel nice, even useful, to write a daily essay about something delightful." 

"I came up with a handful of rules: write a delight every day for a year; begin and end on my birthday, August 1; draft them quickly; and write them by hand. The rules made it a discipline for me. A practice. Spend time thinking and writing about delight every day." 

Isn't that amazing? So simple, so beautiful. Then, this: 

"It didn't take me long to learn that the discipline or practice of writing these essays occasioned a kind of delight radar. Or maybe it was more like the development of a delight muscle. Something that implies that the more you study delight, the more delight there is to study. ...  I felt my life to be more full of delight. Not without sorrow or fear or pain or loss. But more full of delight. I also learned this year that my delight grows -- much like love and joy -- when I share it."

I love this book so much. It truly was delightful, and a reminder to make a practice out of finding delights in life, especially because lately everything seems so terrible. 

And IT'S AUGUST FIRST! Happy birthday, Ross Gay. Now go read this book and discover the contagiousness of shared delights. 


Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy! 

4 comments:

  1. That's an awesome idea! it reminds me of my (continuing) insight and goal to be aware of where I direct my attention. But writing a handwritten essay about something delightful every day sounds like quite a challenge too, considering the number of days when things annoy or discourage me or I'm just lacking in energy or enthusiasm. But hearing that somebody did it is encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A blogger friend of mine (since 2006!) did a daily blog of daily delights for a whole year after being inspired by this book! Her blog never failed to make me smile, and inspired me to blog more often about the delights in my day.

    Today my delight is you blogging about this and inspiring me to look up Dona's blog. Thanks, Jess!

    I love the phrase, "delight radar."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that idea. Thank you for this delight filled post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just picked it up from the library on your recommendation. I anticipate sharing it with others the way you have with us!

    ReplyDelete