A Little Positive?

In our last IVF cycle where I was actually capable of receiving an embryo transfer, I peed on a stick. I figured what the hell, why not? It was one of the last times we would do it and I was feeling hopeful. I went to look at it, and couldn't tell if there was a second line or not -- it was fuzzy, I wasn't sure. I came back 30 minutes later and there was a faint line. Was it an evaporation line? Was I just a "little pregnant?" No way to know. 

Saturday I woke up from a nap and felt...weird. My throat was super scratchy, I had a headache, I was foggy, and super bitchy. I sat there for a little bit on the couch while Bryce made dinner, and then went upstairs and tested. I'd gone to a conference earlier in the week and while I masked for most of it, there were social events where I got a little complacent, I was drinking and eating and schmoozing and I let my guard down. So I was like, oh god, this is what open bar gets you!

When I checked the test...there was a faint line. Almost just fuzzy, but definitely SOMETHING where I've never seen ANYTHING before. I looked at it under bright light, under my phone flashlight, and was like, Okay, this is it -- it finally got me. 

Bryce and I did a little research and apparently, any line is a positive. No matter how faint. False positives are very, very rare (a percentage of 1%). So, I emailed everyone I'd spent time with in the car ride home from the conference and who I saw for even a moment without my mask on. 

And then Sunday, I tested and it was negative. But I felt crappy and my throat hurt and my head hurt and I was tired and felt super heavy and sore in my bones. So I canceled everything I had early this week, including committee interviews for our new assistant principal, which I was very upset to miss. 

Tested today... negative. What the what? 

Is it possible that I fall in the percentage of a percentage point? Do I have superimmunity somehow? Did I get exposed and my body magically fought it off? I AM SO CONFUSED. I do know that I still feel like crap. I am following the protocol just in case, but what the hell is going on? 

Why must all the medical things fall under, "huh, that's a mystery," for me? 

If you have any insights, please leave a comment, I am flummoxed. 


Want to read more #Microblog Mondays? Go here and enjoy! 

7 comments:

  1. Oh bummer! Perhaps you can get a PCR test?

    My positive test (at the end of June) was also a very faint line. I thought it was negative then I squinted and saw the line. (I didn't have many symptoms other than being tired.) This may sound terrible but I was actually sort of happy it was positive so I had an excuse to stay home and rest. I felt better fairly quickly. I hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, that doesn't sound terrible at all. I feel like our society has come to some major woe when it's a relief to get a mild case so that you have permission to truly rest. This makes me feel better! I am feeling better now too, and I did not go for the PCR because I figured it wouldn't change my behavior, but I did report it to our "COVID Czar" at school since I've been in and out so far this summer for interviews, work days, etc. I'm chalking it up to low viral load and my body fighting something, but erring on the side of caution. It's allowed me some truly lazy days! :)

      Delete
  2. A line is a line is a line. Maybe you're just not showing enough symptoms? Or maybe it's another ailment? But those rapid tests are apparently pretty unreliable. (My SIL who had it recently tested strongly positive two to three days after her first very faint - so faint it disappeared - positive.) I guess a PCR would be more certain. But the uncertainty sucks. Whatever it is, take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided that to your point, a line is a line is a line. The test detects a protein, so there must have been SOMETHING present. Even if it is just a little bit, I have enough symptoms to feel that I am fighting something, so I'll just assume I've got it and behave accordingly. I am feeling better today, my throat and upper chest are still scratchy and tight, but I'm not as tired. And my headache seems to finally be fading away. Huzzah!

      Delete
  3. I learned about specificity and sensitivity of diagnostic tests in one of my research classes this semester. I won't bore you with the details, and I don't want to risk misleading anyone with misinformation either.

    However, I feel confident in sharing the following. After learning about these concepts, I looked up the sensitivity and specificity for the rapid COVID tests we can do at home. You are correct: false positives are very, very rare. However, false negatives are pretty common which is why I think the home tests have earned the reputation of being unreliable. So... Maybe you have it? Maybe you got a positive, followed by false negatives?

    Regardless of whatever it is, you don't feel well and are sick with something. An infection or exhaustion or just what I call life-itis. Hoping you take lots of time to rest. (If it is COVID, trying to do too much too soon can exacerbate things.) I hope you feel better SOON! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, interesting stuff. I think maybe I just have very low viral load, or as a friend who recently had it, the viral load is not in my nose. I have tried throat swabbing, but holy hell I am NOT good at that and I doubt very much that I get enough gross material for the tests. I do however get teary eyes and have thrown up in my hands, which makes me feel like that is not worth it. :) So, assuming positive, following protocol, grateful my house is set up where Bryce and I can be separate and mask around each other and eat meals outside. He's good so far. I am definitely taking it easy, I did go for a walk outside (no people, like literally did not pass a single person) and it definitely left me winded. BUT, feeling better! If it is the COVID, I'm grateful it's mild. Thank you for your research info!

      Delete
  4. Well, the COVID is one thing, but what I took from this episode is this part: "Why must all the medical things fall under, "huh, that's a mystery," for me?"

    FOR SURE!!

    ReplyDelete