A New Start

This was the fastest summer ever. (It was, actually, shorter than usual by a week, but it still sped by at record speed.) 

This is my current state about school starting back up: 

That, friends, is a big blanket of denial. But, tomorrow is the second day for teachers and Wednesday is the first day with students, and my room is probably 80% there but I am feeling 2% ready for some reason. This is the time when I usually start panicking that I have completely forgotten how to teach. I know I haven't, and this is my 16th year full-time in my district and my 18th year teaching (HOW DID THAT HAPPEN!?), so I'm pretty sure it will all be okay. 

I do feel fortunate that I get a fresh start every year, that I can tweak things and reflect and try new stuff with a whole new group each September. 

This summer had a LOT going on: 
  • Got my hyaluronic acid injection series in my non-cyborg knee and am thrilled that if I can do it again in the spring, I think I can buy time before my next replacement. 
  • A summer of extremes led to the WORST gardening season of my life -- too much sun and heat, then too much heavy rain... I had a root rot container garden. So much of what I planted in the ground died, despite amending soil. It sucked. 
  • Spent much of July and August apartment-hunting for my Dad, who unexpectedly (but excitingly for me) is moving here. THAT is going to be major culture shock, going from L.A. to Rochester, NY. For about a zillion reasons. But, he'll be here in about a month, and it will be the first time we've lived in the same state (much less general area) in 34 years, the first time ever as both adults. 
  • Had a highly embarrassing and unexpected expense when I somehow backed my car into A PARKED CAR IN MY OWN DRIVEWAY at the start of summer, and so I will be VERY glad to have a paycheck again in a week and a half. (Then I came within about an inch of doing it again when my best friend came to visit. I apparently can't see giant silver vehicles.) I'm still sad I have a dent on the back of my car now.
  • Even though it feels like I didn't do NEARLY enough, I still did a fair amount of work for school over the summer. 
  • BUT, I also made plenty of time for reading and puzzles, and we finally put together the folding-leaf puzzle table Bryce got me for my birthday (It's actually really meant for a small kitchen/dining area, but it's a puzzle table to me!)
  • I read 22 books this summer. My lowest number I've recorded, but this summer I decided I wouldn't shy away from big books, and read several big and/or dense books along with fun brain candy. If only I was good at goodreads and could figure out summer pagecounts!
  • I saw my best friend TWICE! (Three times if you count a May visit, which is a record for us!)
  • I walked, a LOT. It was so good to be able to do that again. Lots of 3-7 mile walks on rail trails and the Erie Canal trail. 
That's by no means all of it, but it was packed. I think I'm okay with having some structure and routine. (Check in with me at the end of September to see how I feel about that, ha ha.) I may be overwhelmed with paperwork, and feel like I can never catch up, but I am so very lucky to love my job. And, despite that blanket of denial, I am lucky to actually be looking forward to being back in my classroom with a new group of squirrelly 8th graders to love on and learn with. 


2 comments:

  1. I'm in awe at your 22 books! Wow. Simply, WOW! (It's been weeks if not months since I finished a book - other things occupying my mind right now.) So glad you got to walk and see your BF and just enjoyed the summer.
    I'm so sorry that it ended so quickly (what's with it being a week shorter this year?), that it was crap for the garden, that you backed into a car, and that you are in blanket denial! I would be too. Your summer does seem to have whizzed by. But September is a fresh start, you're brilliant in the classroom (I can tell that from these pages), and new young minds to shape. Yay, you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm, I have read 24 books SO FAR THIS YEAR. 22 all summer is an amazing number! And yay you for walking so much! -- something I really need to get back to doing!

    Did you know that silver cars are the most susceptible to getting into accidents? (My SIL found this out after getting into an accident while driving a silver car.) They are, apparently, much harder for other drivers to see! You are not the only one!

    Wishing you a great year at school! <3

    ReplyDelete